Wednesday, November 3, 2010

This, That, and the Other

Some random thoughts:

Who is swayed by robocalls imploring you to vote for their candidate? Obviously, someone, somewhere, thinks this is an effective way to campaign. But seriously, who thinks, “Well, based on the issues, I was planning on voting for Kramden for Governor, but, you know, that robocall completely rocked my world. Go Norton!”? I want names, people!

Maybe I’m being a polly-alan, but I am very encouraged by the fact that people with e-readers are reading more than before. More is good, when it comes to reading.

I’d be much more inclined to enjoy autumn if I didn’t know winter was to follow.

I voted with my 18-year-old son yesterday. Pretty cool!

Just got a GPS unit. On the first trip, about a mile and a half to the grocery store, it would have gotten us lost. Luckily, we switched to the back-up system: our common sense. (I was reminded of the episode of The Office where Michael drives into the lake because the GPS told him to.)

Why is it that I think of the good lines AFTER I’ve completed a draft?

StallingForTime I went to an MWA Chapter dinner meeting last week and heard Gary Noesner speak. He’s a former FBI hostage negotiator (and chief negotiator for ten years), and he was terrific. His book: STALLING FOR TIME.


Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan - I voted with my 19-year-old daughter yesterday. It is cool, isn't it?

And I hate robocalls! What are these people thinking!?

Totally agreed on the E-reader comment, too. More people reading is a good thing. Period. Especially if you're an author ;-).

Sounds like you had a great time at the dinner. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Terry Odell said...

Hate all aspects of the political campaign process, although I think we get more robo calls about financial matters than politics. Thank goodness for answering machines and caller ID.

I think the reading format should be the consumer's choice. Nothing bugs me more than hearing, 'I'd NEVER read an e-book.' Change happens. Change can be good. Choices are great. (And I say that as both a reader AND a writer.) I've ordered my second e-reader.

Terry
Terry's Place
Romance with a Twist--of Mystery

Hart Johnson said...

YAY for new voters! Mine has a few more years, but it is definitely a right of passage. And I am TOTALLY with you on Autumn. In reality, Autumn here is GORGEOUS, and I ought to prefer it to spring ten times over, but i DON'T because 8 months of winter are just around the corner. Suppose it serves me right for living in Michigan.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Yeah on the robocalls, except I always get pretty excited when the big guys call...I have to admit I listened to Pat Boone's robocall all the way through. He didn't sing, though. :)

Funny about the GPS. We just got ours today and haven't tried it out yet. This could be almost as exciting as letting my husband navigate.

Alan Orloff said...

Margot - The best part about voting? Those little "I Voted" stickers.

Terry - Second e-reader? Wear out the buttons already?

Hart - 8 months of winter is harsh. I say you should move.

Patricia - For mine, they have voices you can choose to read the directions. One option: Homer Simpson. I'm not sure I'd have much confidence in his directions, though.

Nick said...

Robocalls receive the rapid robohangup from me.

Ricky Bush said...

Yeah, Alan, I don't need a stinking robocall. I do need a GPS sometimes--just to have someone to argue directions with when my wife isn't along. I do like the estimated time of arrival and being reminded that my turn just may be coming up soon because the way my mind drifts nowadays, I fly by exits too frequently.