Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Personal Classics

So many books, so little time. That’s why I rarely re-read a book—there are too many good ones out there, sirens calling my name, tempting me with the promise of a good time.

But these books, for whatever reason, managed to wheedle their way onto my TBR pile for second (or third) reads:

  • The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
  • Ender’s Game
  • The Godwulf Manuscript
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • Watchers
  • The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice Cream God
  • Jurassic Park

What about you? Do you have some favorite books you like to re-read? Why?


Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Stephen Parrish said...

You're the first person I've ever known who lists John R. Powers. I love all three in that series, but ICE CREAM GOD is a treasure that never got the recognition it deserved.

Margot Kinberg said...

Alan - You really do have some memorable re-reads there!!! I have to admit, I re-read my Agatha Christie collection.

Art Taylor said...

Because I teach, there are a few books that I've reread several times, but fortunately, I'm picking these, so I always pick favorites! Chief on that list: Ross Macdonald's The Underground Man -- one of my favorites of his and one of my favorite mysteries. Also taught James Ellroy's The Big Nowhere just because I wanted to reread it.

Other favorite rereads (not just for class):

Anna Karenina (three times so far, and I'd start it again right now if I had time!)

The Sun Also Rises

Wolf Whistle by Lewis Nordan

The Human Stain by Philip Roth

Mary Vaughn said...

My Agatha Christie collection
Sherlock Holmes collection
King's IT

And seriously Alan, I reread Diamonds. I can't get over the fact that I *know* those people.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

I reread Elizabeth George's mysteries, Edward Rutherfurd's SARUM and LONDON, and all my Robertson Davies's. When I'm in the mood for a giggle I pull out my collection of PD Wodehouse.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm with Margot and Elspeth. :)

Alan Orloff said...

Steve - Yeah, all three are really good books. Not sure why they aren't more popular.

Margot - Yes, I think I've heard of Agatha Christie. Rereading her entire body of work would take some time.

Art - I think I'll have to check out some of those. I'm not too well read.

Mary - Yeah, I'd like to read IT again. Maybe I'll get it for my Kindle. Thanks for being such a big fan of DIAMONDS!

Elspeth - More good suggestions! My TBR pile grows!

Elizabeth - I bet you speed read, too!