Thursday, August 8, 2013

So Many Books!

What are you reading now? What have you read recently that you’d recommend?

I once picked up a book with a very cool premise. I read about 200 pages, then decided it was pretty ridiculous not to my liking. But I really wanted to find out what happened, so I finished reading it. And it didn’t end any better than it had started.

Fast forward about three years. I picked up a book with a very cool premise. I read about 200 pages, then decided it was pretty ridiculous not to my liking. But I really wanted to find out what happened, so I finished reading it. And it didn’t end any better than it had started.

Yes, that’s correct. I read the same book twice without realizing it until the very end. So I guess you could say I’m not very good about remembering books. At least not bad ones.

However, I am much better about remembering good books (not the plots or the characters, but the overall impression the book left me with).

Here are a few books I’ve read recently that I enjoyed:poachers-son1

The Poacher’s Son by Paul Doiron (award-winning debut in his Mike Bowditch series)

Shotgun Lullaby by Steve Ulfelder (the third in his excellent Conway Sax series, starting with the Edgar-nominated Purgatory Chasm)

A Wanted Man by Lee Child. (I love Jack Reacher)

Right now, I’m in the middle of Live By Night by Dennis Lehane (one of my all-time favorite writers).

What will I be reading next? Well, as I posted on Facebook last week, I have a new policy:

From now on, I will only read books that: are written by people I know, are written by people I don’t know (yet), have been nominated for awards, have won awards, have been overlooked for awards, seem interesting, have great covers, have, uh, interesting covers, are from experienced writers, are from debut authors, are in genres I like, are in a genres I usually don’t read, are serious, are funny, are recommended, I find on the shelf without any fanfare, are purchased, are borrowed, are received as gifts, OR are written in English.

BUT THAT’S ALL!

(The entry is “simul-posted” on Criminal Minds.)


Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

Patricia Stoltey said...

Alan, I agree with you completely. We should be very, very picky about our reading material. Yeah.

I also read everything I can get my hands on, but the biggest temptations on my coffee table right now are books by Stuart Neville, Tom Piccirilli, Harlan Coben, Maeve Binchy, and Maryann Miller. I have a neverending wish list too.