Thursday, June 25, 2015

Eyes Open! Stay Awake!

No boredom Sometimes you become so interested in the research for your book that it takes over the story. What do you do to keep it from becoming a treatise that only serves to make your readers’ eyes close with boredom?

Some people, old roommates mostly, call me lazy. I prefer the term efficient. I don’t like waste, be it energy, food, money, brainpower, or time (especially food).

I know a lot of writers enjoy spelunking in the proverbial stacks, unearthing long-forgotten historical tomes. Their jaws drop in wonder at a newly-discovered journal from the 1300’s or a never-before-seen map of the ancient Roman empire.

I’m not one of them. I strive to do exactly as much research as necessary and not one iota more. I don’t think I’ve ever been accused of including too much research in any of my books or stories. Ever. Really, EVER.

Readers don’t need to know how the sausage is made. They just need to know that one of my characters has stopped at a street vendor to get a delicious brat on a bun.

Don’t get me wrong, I work hard to make sure that what I write is as accurate as possible and, in order to do that, research must be conducted. It’s just not my favorite thing. That’s why I rarely worry about bombarding my readers with all kinds of arcane knowledge. I try to give them just what they need to understand whatever is going on in my book.

I operate on a simple plan: if it serves the story, it goes in.

If it doesn’t, it doesn’t.

*****

Still a few more days left in Amazon’s The Big Deal sale! More than 350 Kindle books for up to 85% off, including RUNNING FROM THE PAST for only $1.99!

RUNNING cover

(This entry is “simul-posted” on Criminal Minds.)


Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Unknown said...




Free ebooks i have read it and it was very good.
Read it now before it deleted
http://onlineoffers.biz/?l=free_ebooks_gifts


wonderlearner said...

Toxicwap has an official website. It is this website you can access and enjoy all the features the platform offers. You can’t be a visitor to this wonderful wap site. And still, find it difficult to download updated TV Series movies to your mobile device. There are lots of amazing features that make it more outstanding than any other wap site you can think of...............................................................................................................Read More Here TOXICWAP
https://www.tecteem.com/toxicwap-download-free-tv-series-musics-movies-games-videos-toxicwap-com/