Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Your Turn

100_2617A glance at the calendar tells me it’s summer, mid-August to be exact.

A glance at the thermometer confirms it.

Which means it’s vacation time. And one of my favorite things to do on vacation is golf gamble hike eat travel sight-see read!

So I thought I’d throw the blog open today to recommendations. Now, these don’t have to be “beach” reads. They can be any books you’ve read lately that you’re really passionate about. Something that you can be an evangelist for. (To keep this from becoming a Midnight Ink-fest, let’s exclude books written by MInkers.)

I’ll go first.

I read a lot of books, and most of them fall in the pretty-good-to-mediocre range. But every once in a while, I’ll read a gem that I really, really wish I’d written myself. One that I’ll recommend to other readers without even being asked for a recommendation. One I’ll even Tweet about!

One recently-read book that rocked my world was THE LOCK ARTIST by Steve Hamilton. (Of course, it’s not like this was a lucky find. It won an Edgar, for goodness sake!).

Now it’s your turn. What are some outstanding books you’ve read lately?

(This entry is “simul-posted” on InkSpot. Click over to join the fun!)


Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

I recently read Ann Patchet's newest State of Wonder and I highly recommend it. What a gloriously good read - not a genre book, just a wonderful tale. Bel Canto by Patchet, was also fabulous. There ya go.
Also, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchel is one of my all time favourites.

Alan Orloff said...

Jan - Thanks for those. I'll have to check them out!

J.P. Hansen said...

I just finished Debbi Mack's LEAST WANTED, the second Sam McRae mystery. The first in the series, IDENTITY CRISIS, was the first book by an independent author to make it to the NYT best-seller list.