Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Man is King

BagofBones I just finished reading Bag of Bones by Stephen King. It's always an experience reading one of his books--a good one--and I usually can't stop thinking about what I've read for days. Bag of Bones was no exception.

Everything about King's work is unique. The voice, the setting, the characters, the plot. Killer dogs, talking cars, houses that seem to come alive. Witches, demons, werewolves, mind-readers, Tommyknockers--anything and everything macabre is in play and liable to come through the floors, thirsty for someone's soul.

Thirty years ago, King was one of those writers I admired. Today, he still is. I think it's safe to say he's contributed greatly to my desire to become a writer.

Thanks Mr. King!

Here are my five favorite early Stephen King books (before 1985): 200px-DeadZone

  • Salem's Lot
  • The Shining
  • The Dead Zone 
  • Firestarter
  • Cujo
  • Christine
  • The Talisman (with Peter Straub)

That's more than 5? I couldn't bear to leave any of these out!

What’s your favorite (early) King book?


Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Pet Semetery.

But it scared the life out of me.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

David Orloff said...

The Stand

Patricia Stoltey said...

Cujo is the one I can't forget. Mention the title, and I feel the fear.

Alan Orloff said...

Elizabeth - I have to say that Pet Sematary was the single most depressing book I've ever read. Definitely disturbing.

Bro - The Stand is one of my faves, too, but that was written a few years later than 1985. I think I'll have to blog about more of King's books in the future.

Patricia - Every time I see a snarling dog, I think of Cujo!