Friday, August 20, 2010

Ten Best Things About Being a Writer

dog tired Usually, the dog days of summer don’t affect me. I’m content to plod along on whatever project I happen to be involved in. This year, for some reason—be it the unrelenting heat, the monsoon-like deluges, or the crazy pace I’ve been keeping—I’m ready to just kick back and relax. And read some of the dozens of dozens of books in my TBR pile.

So no deep-thinker post today (unlike all my other posts :) ). Instead, a top ten list (with apologies to Mr. Letterman):

 

The Ten Best Things About Being a Writer

10. People think you know stuff.

9. A business trip means going to the bookstore.

8. Fame and fortune. Not.

7. You can blame your misfortunes on your agent.

6. You “get” to blog and Facebook and Twitter.

5. Showering is optional.

4. You can kill people who annoy you with abandon (or with a gun or a knife).

3. Watching Comedy Central counts as research.

2. Those voices in your head are supposed to be there.

And the number one best thing about being a writer:

1. Casual Friday becomes Underwear Friday.

 

Got any to add?

 

(If this post seems familiar, it’s because I posted it on InkSpot yesterday. I told you I was feeling a little lazy!)


Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

Yes, Yes, And YES!!!!

Unknown said...

First of all, I have to ask. Is that your dog? If yes, it's so cute. I have a boxer too. If no, well, he's so cute.

And those reasons, especially number 6 and 4 are great reasons.

CD

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like #3. I'd add that you now have permission to pursue your 'hobby.'

Alan Orloff said...

Piedmont - I'll have what you're having.

Clarissa - Nope, not my dog. He's Internet Doggie.

Alex - No, it's not a hobby. Some hobbies make money :)

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

I laughed all the way through--then I got to #1 and lost it! (Oh the places a mind can go!)
Mary

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love #10. So true.

Patricia

Dorte H said...

You don´t have to get up early in the morning when your brain doesn´t work anyway :(

[I wanna be a full-time writer]