Friday, September 25, 2009

More Sticky Books

I've blogged about some books that will always stick with me here and here.

Five more:

Pet Semetary - Stephen King. The single most depressing book I've ever read. And I read every word.

watchers Watchers - Dean Koontz. He wrote (and writes) a lot of great books. My favorite.

The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice Cream God - John R. Powers. Funny and poignant, with a very distinctive voice. Read more about this here.

Along Came a Spider - James Patterson. Terrific serial killer book, introducing Alex Cross. In my opinion, this is Patterson at his best. And solo, too.

Nathan's Run - John Gilstrap. Great characters and great pacing.


Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Elspeth Futcher said...

I never thought I'd read the phrase "terrific serial killer book". That's going to fester. Kidding aside, I've actually never read any of these books as I tend to stay away from books that scare me witless and have me compulsively checking under my bed.

Elspeth

joe doaks-Author said...

About the same time as Pet Semetary was the King book Christine, which I thought was very good. Of course, The Shining is my all time favorite King book. Scared me to death, read it at night in bed and was too scared to get up and go to the bathroom…with predictable results.

Best Regards, Galen

Imagineering Fiction Blog

Alan Orloff said...

Elspeth - Try Unoriginal Sinner. Nobody gets murdered in that one.

Galen - Heeeeere's Galen!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Pet Semetary gave me the creeps when I read it many, many years ago and I still get the creeps when I hear the title. The other Stephen King book that haunts me is Cujo.

I haven't read Nathan's Run, so I'll have to check that one out.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Stephen King REALLY started scaring me right after I read Pet Semetary. At first, his stuff just scared me but didn't *disturb* me. Then I started feeling really odd after reading them (too much imagination!) Had to take a break. But I read "Thinner" and "Awake" (at least I think those were the names of them.) Then I had to stop...

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder